Thrusters are a type of movement cube.
Overview[edit | edit source]
As the name suggests, Thrusters are used to provide thrust. They are a very powerful type of propulsion, but require practice and accounting for center of mass to use properly. Thrusters are commonly used to augment the propulsion provided by other movement cubes.
It can be a design challenge to enclose and shield larger Thrusters from damage, though this design strategy may not be cost effective as Thrusters have high armor values and are difficult to destroy. This high durability is often exploited by covering the exterior of a robot with a protective layer of Thrusters.
Sideways-pointing Thrusters are subject to Front-or-Back Cube Behavior. However, reversing does not flip the direction of turning Thrusters and will move you in a counter-intuitive way.
Pros and cons[edit | edit source]
- Can be used to boost speeds of all other movement forms except Caterpillar Tracks.
- Can be used to aid steering of other movement types.
- Use a lot of CPU when used in bulk.
- Must be placed at the right place to avoid flipping.
Performance[edit | edit source]
Thrusters are a good alternative to regular propulsion, but require practice to place effectively and more practice to control in flight. Poorly placed thrusters will cause spinning rather than propel a robot forward. This is especially true for satellites and drones, which need thrusters as the primary movement method.
Thrusters are also useful for providing airborne steering ability when correctly mounted.
From the Dec 2014 "Tanks Are Rolling Out" patch, diminishing returns apply to Thrusters. Up to 15 Thrusters in each of the six directions will have 100% thrust, with diminishing thrust from the 16th through the 25th, and no thrust from the 26th onward.
They are affected by Front-or-Back Cube Behavior.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The space behind the Thruster does not have to be empty for it to provide thrust.
- Thruster were originally called Jets
- Before Aerofoils were implemented, the only way to fly were thrusters and helium blocks, a design that is still viable.
- Tier 1 Thrusters were removed from the game for a short time, but were reintroduced in Tanks Are Rolling Out update.
- The general name for Thrusters is referred in code as "KUBE_Jet".
|Chassis||Cubes||Basic Cubes • Glass|
|Other||Rods • Struts • Helium|
|Movement||Ground||Wheels • Hover Blades • Mech Legs • Insect Legs • Caterpillar Tracks • Skis|
|Air||Wings • Rudders • Rotor Blades|
|Propulsion||Thrusters • Propellers|
|Hardware||Weapons||Proto-Seeker • Laser Gun • Plasma Launcher • Railgun • Nano-Disruptor • Aeroflak Cannon • Lock-on Missile Launcher • Ion Distorter • Tesla Blade|
|Special||Recon||Enemy Radar • Radar Jammer • Radar Receiver|
|Modules||Power Booster • Disc Shield • Blink Module • Ghost Module|
|Cosmetic||Masks||Scary • Football • Mech 7 • Sabretooth • Rhino 8 • Eagle • Cockpit • OverWolf • Honeydew • Alienware|