|“||Allows your robot to fly like an aeroplane.||„|
|~ In-game description|
|Allows the robot to glide|
Wing is a movement in Robocraft, available close to when you begin playing the game. They are the first movement component a player can acquire that allows them to fly. They are really difficult to build.
Pros and cons[edit | edit source]
(For rudders and wings)
- Fast, agile flight
- Avoid ice and rough terrain
- Stabilize cruisers and tanks
- Does not requires thrusters or propellers
- Has VTOL (Vertical take off and landing )
- Low armor
- Very vulnerable to rail snipers, LOMLs and aeroflaks
- Must be light enough to be able to lift or be agile
- Loses its ability to roll as of the 2017 Aerofoils update
Overview[edit | edit source]
Wings generate lift and allow for the creation of airplanes. They are much larger than rudders, providing greater lift and stability at the cost of less control. They produce slightly less lift when going backwards or when placed upside-down, which can be used to balance your craft. However, you need to be going fast enough for its lift to come in to play. Wings weigh more than rudders. They receive an increase in turn rate as you go up its tiers, and increase in size.
Statistics[edit | edit source]
||Base Health||CPU||Mass||Base Speed||Speed Boost (%)||Carry Mass|
|Bat||Only in crates|
|Vampire Bat||Only in crates|
Performance[edit | edit source]
Simple enough: Attach 4 (or more) wings and/or rudders to your robot (One pair on the front, one pair in the back), add a source(s) of thrust and you can fly. Wings greatly stabilize flight and makes it possible to make aircraft. Another setup is having wings and/or rudders on only the back part of your aircraft and placing thrusters on the front of your aircraft to give you upwards and downwards thrust. This type of aircraft isn't as common but it is viable.
The lifting ability of wings increases with speed, but will not exceed neutral buoyancy. To raise altitude you will need to either point the craft upwards or have enough helium on board to generate lift without needing the wings.
Advanced design tips[edit | edit source]
- While having less lift than wings, rudders have more control authority, making them useful for control high agility aircraft.
- Vertically mounted Rudders produce lift in the UP direction, and will force a craft to flip so that they are facing the map ceiling. This is true even for rudders mounted facing DOWN, and can be used to make aircraft that fly upside down.
- For maximum stability rudders should be placed behind the center of thrust, mounting rudders in front of the center of thrust increases maneuverability, but can severely impact the ability of the craft to remain level at lower speeds.
- Both wings and rudders can be used as fixed stabilizers on all crafts if they are mounted facing the front or rear face. When mounted horizontally they dampen roll and pitch, and when mounted vertically they dampen roll and yaw. This dampening effect increases with velocity.
- When making a double wing stack design, make sure to triforce the aerofoil mounts so that both the mounting blocks don't actually contact each other reducing the likelihood of you losing multiple wings from a single hit.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
A current bug is common when you lose one or more wing(s) or rudder(s) and have them healed back into place. Your aircraft will sometimes act as if it had 2 wings occupying one spot. This glitch is commonly known as the "Ghost Rudder" bug.
History[edit | edit source]
When first introduced, wings generated no drag when placed backwards, allowing for extreme high-speed airplanes. There were also no rudders, so airplanes had tall tail wings.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Aerofoils (British English) are also spelt as Airfoils (American english) based on what english type you speak.
|Chassis||Cubes||Health Cubes • Light Cubes • Glass|
|Other||Rods • Struts • Helium|
|Movement||Ground||Wheels • Hover Blades • Mech Legs • Sprinter Legs • Insect Legs • Tank Tracks • Skis|
|Air||Wings • Rudders • Rotor Blades|
|Propulsion||Thrusters • Propellers|
|Weapons||||Proto-Seeker • Laser Gun • Plasma Launcher • Railgun • Nano-Disruptor • Aeroflak Cannon • Lock-on Missile Launcher • Ion Distorter • Tesla Blade|
|Modules||Weapon Energy • Disc Shield • Blink • Ghost • Windowmaker|
|Masks||Scary • Football • Mech 7 • Sabretooth • Rhino 8 • Eagle • Cockpit • OverWolf • Honeydew • Alienware|